Thursday 1 October 2015

crazy bird and coffee....

Hello there. Today i have an all Tim Holtz affair for you. This is actually my husband's birthday card and it combines some things that he loves. The first is coffee of which he drinks copious amounts. He also loves robins and I wanted to use the crazy birds and this one kind of reminds me of him. So I put everything on this card.


Enough of that and onto how I made the card. I started with a 15x15 cm piece of white card. I stamped the coffee mug in potting soil archival ink and masked it off. Next I stamped the bag of coffee beans in same ink and masked it off too.


Next it was time to attend to background. I used squeezed lemonade, scattered straw and   wild honey on top half and blended them in smoothly graduating the colour. On the bottom half I used pumice stone, hickory smoke and scattered straw and again made sure that everything was graduating and blending in to create an ombre effect background.


Then I used a textured background stamp and and inked with scattered straw and went around the card as you can see above and below.
With the other stamp I used vintage photo and went around again but stamping a narrower edge. 
I inked all around the edges with vintage photo just to darken it slightly all round.
For the next bit I had to make sure that the ink was dry. I also went over it with dust buddy to make sure it was dry. Using the cornice stamp from the outer edge I stamped all around with versamark and embossed with gold detail powder.


I then coloured the images with promarkers. I used skin colours for mug and light browns for coffee bag. I then added more detail with the spectrum noir pencils.
I used the pencils to add shading around the objects and for shadows.


On a separate piece of card I stamped the bird twice in potting soil archival. i coloured him in with distress inks, espresso coffee, fossilized amber, abandoned coral. I added glossy accents to eyes and beak and after they dried I die cut them out and assembled the bird.
I also added glossy accents to the coffee beans and clear embossed the mug. The coffee is shiny too as I added clear wink of stella to it.
I matted on dark brown card and then onto burlap.


I hope that it meets with your approval. I must say that the recipient was thrilled with it, Theresa xx.

I would like to enter this card in the following challenges:

Word art Wednesday - anything goes


61 comments:

  1. Oh, this is awesome! Love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really cool beans! lol LOVE it! Love all the details and the background is awesome sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool! love that crazy bird, your design is fabulous thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. so cute, love the colors and the burlap!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a wonderful masculine card Theresa and the crazy bird robin with his glossy beak and eyes and the lovely WOS on the coffee beans to give them a sparkly shine is a great idea. I'm sure your husband will have loved this. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. This card is fantastic! I love the blending and shading of colors - it all looks so masterful and wonderfully done. The scene you created is stunning and the details such as the glossy accents on the coffee beans is awesome. Love this and thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous! Love the burlap and the results you achieved with all the textures with detailed work, and that crazy bird made me crazy too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this card and all of the great texture and fabulous elements. And those Tim Holtz birds crack me up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that Crazy Bird, my daughter just got the stamps and I want to bring them home with me. Not sure whether he's happy, but then being a crazy bird, who knows. Cute card and love the colors and textures you used.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Sue. i think he looks a bit overwhelmed more than anything xx

      Delete
  10. Great card, Theresa, I love!!!!your crazy bird coffee card! Happy hopping!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Theresa, your card is over the top adorable. LOVE that bird!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those beans are popping off the page! I can almost smell them! Cute card!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that means I achieved what I set out to do. thanks xx

      Delete
  13. Adore all the texture here and so perfect for your hubby. Thanks for joining TO

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love how you've teamed up these images along with your masking...awesome work.

    ReplyDelete
  15. absolutely adorable! loving the coffee beans!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is perfect! Love the adorable bird, great mixed media card! ☺ x

    ReplyDelete
  17. So fabulously gorgeous and creative! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can see why your husband liked this card so much! This is a really fun birthday card. Love all the special touches and especially the Glossy Accents. Very cute!! Bev

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yes!! Love love love those crazy birds!! Awesome card!

    ReplyDelete
  20. A fabulous card Theresa, a super design and lovely colours - your fun crazy bird is just adorable and gorgeous embellishments!!

    hugs
    Heather xx
    Thanks so much for joining us with Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is fabulous Theresa! You've coloured the images so beautifully, the design is wonderful and there's so much work in this ~ it's stunning! Thank you so much for sharing your card and for playing along with us over on the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge blog... :) Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Emma. i always wait in anticipation for your comments, hugs xx

      Delete
  22. oh wow - this is AMAZING! beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fabulous combination of textures and colours - I love the burlap background combined with the earth tone hues - it gives the card a wonderful Autumnal feel! The finishing touches of Glossy Accents on the bird and the beans are wonderful too! Thanks so much for taking some Time Out to play along with us! Jill

    ReplyDelete
  24. Such a fun and cute card! Love the beautiful colors and coffee beans. Thank you so much for sharing with us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Brilliant card, perfect for a man, love those crazy birds and your coffee beans.
    Thank you for joining us at Simon says Stamp Wednesday Challenge.
    Luv
    Debby

    ReplyDelete
  26. Mmmm.... can almost taste that coffee. Thanks for playing along at Time Out

    ReplyDelete